Medigap Insurance Information
What is Medicare Supplement Insurance?
A Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan, also called a Medigap Plan, is sold by private insurance companies to fill in the coverage gaps and deductibles that Original Medicare does not cover. For instance, if Medicare covers 80 percent of a doctor’s visit or any other approved service or procedure, the Medigap plan will cover some or all of the remaining 20 percent. With a Medicare Supplement Insurance Plan, there is little to no additional cost to you for health care beyond your premium for anything that is covered by Medicare. Medigap plans are standardized and regulated by law. This means that each company must offer the same plan benefits with the only difference being the price. However, prices can vary widely between companies. We can help you weed through the options to find the benefit package and premiums suited for you.
What should you know about a Medicare Supplement Insurance plan ?
Medigap plans are available to anyone enrolled in Part A and Part B (hospital and medical insurance) of Medicare. Open enrollment, a time frame in which you cannot be declined coverage, begins either when you first enroll in Part B or when you turn 65. This six-month window is the best time to purchase your Medigap plan. Unlike a Medicare Advantage Plan, you are able to be seen by any provider (anywhere) that has a contract with Medicare. There are NO networks to contend with. In addition, you will have to add a separate Part D plan for drug coverage. If you already have a Medigap plan and are shopping for lower rates, you don't have to wait until the annual open enrollment period. We can compare rates for you anytime of year. Your Medigap premium will be an additional charge on top of your Medicare Part B premium (Part A is usually at no additional cost), and in return you will receive more comprehensive coverage for your health care needs. If you have a Medicare Advantage Plan (Part C), be sure to cancel your coverage as soon as you are approved for your new plan.
Why do you need a Medigap Plan?
It is important to remember that Medicare does not completely cover all of your health care expenses and there are NO caps to your out-of- pocket costs. A Medigap plan ensures a broader range of coverage with predictable costs whether seeing a doctor or having major surgery. A low monthly premium will give you peace of mind as your need for health care grows.
Contact us today to learn more about the 10 Medigap plans and what they can offer you. We will gladly answer any questions and help you select the plan that best meets your needs.
Medicare has neither reviewed nor endorsed this information.